Which Form to Submit to IRD When an Employee Who is About to Cease to Be Employed?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

When an employee ceases to be employed, an employer has to file one copy of IR56F or via  Electronic Filing of Employer’s Return one month before the date of termination of his employment. In addition to the basic information, pay attention to the following particulars:

  1. Reason for cessation (e.g. resignation, retirement, dismaillsal, death, etc.)
  2. Date of cessation and details of income from 1 April to the date of cessation of employment (not include the severance payment/long service payment made under Employment Ordinance, only report the excess amount made)
  3. Includes any payment subsequently received or is taken to have been received from the scheme(s) in respect of voluntary contribution by employer

For example:

Tim will leave the company on July 31, 2020, but will not leave Hong Kong. A completed form IR56F is required to be returned on or before June 31 (or via Electronic Filing of Employer’s Return). The company should provide a copy of the completed IR56F form to Tim for reference.

Note⚠️: if the company has already filled in form IR56F for Tim, there is no need to file form IR56B in the following Annual Reporting of Employees’ Income for him for that year, so as to avoid double counting.

Please refer to: https://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/pdf/ir56f.pdf

If an employee ceases to be employed, it will be very inconvenient to file the form if he fails to record the correct time, date, and reason. As HR, it is very time-consuming to ask them again. Therefore, the HRM system——Worsktem can help you solve this problem. When an employee resigns, select the date and fill in the reason, and IR56F can be exported in one click, and there is no need to manually enter the data one by one!

(The article on this website is intended to be for reference and general information purposes only. Workstem does not warrant or represent that such information is complete, accurate or up to date. It should not be treated as a complete and authoritative statement of law or court practice, or a substitute for professional legal advice.)

Recommended Articles


Prevent Employee Disputes, Receive the Latest HR News in Your Inbox Weekly!

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *